Wednesday, June 4, 2008

job well done...eh?

BREAKING NEWS: Petrol will be RM2.70 a litre at midnight tonight

The new price of premium leaded petrol (ULG 97) is RM2.70 per litre beginning midnight tonight, it was announced a moment ago. The price for ULG 92 petrol per litre went up by 74 sen to RM2.62. Diesel will go up by RM1 per litre to RM2.58. The 78 sen hike or 40 per cent increase for the ULG 97 petrol is still below the antiticpated RM4 per litre price projected earlier and among the cheapest in Asia. The announcement was made by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi at a news conference.

When I left the office the roads were uncharacteristically empty. Then I realised what everybody was up to. The nasty weather and the crowds made me forgot about the SMSs I had received earlier. Unfortunately I'm not too into queuing for hours for a tank of petrol as if that tank full can last until the next millennium. Angry? Yes, especially when the fuel warning sign of the 17 year old Saga kept blinking. Unfortunately, nothing much can be done when you're raging against the government. A soulless government bent on milking everyone and everything in it's path dry. And handing the milk in a golden bowl to a few bastards.

It's hard to change my lifestyle. Unless I leave home at 5am and cycle the 22kms to work. The 3 buses to the office cost more than driving. And maybe take a shower at the office to save a few more sens on water bills. Maybe I can soak those shredded documents at the office and add some sugar for lunch, hoping that they taste like oats. I need the sugar for the energy to cycle back home and hopefully I'll just fall asleep and forget dinner. I'm ok with that. The children? Fortunately they now know the value of money. And have been saving their pocket money for whatever they fancy. And I almost could not recall when was the last time I brought them for a nice holiday during them school breaks. But how do you save on food and face them? Is escargot any good?

Maybe I should just call Bersamamu for a feature. The hopelessness of it all is making me seething. Maybe I just need to control my anger. Farm animals don't have much say anyways.

Image by Milo Manara.

No comments: